The biggest uses of Twitter right now are:
– Businesses following what is being said about them or their industry—Zappos, JetBlue, Comcast, etc.
– Celebrity updates—Lance Armstrong Tweets about his collarbone.
– Real-time updates of news events, especially natural disasters.
– Niche topics, like #MSU or #UNC during March Madness.
– Individuals/companies promoting themselves.
And it’s the last point that may eventually cause Twitter to become tiresome. Is Dale Carnegie rolling over in his grave because everyone on Twitter is trying to be heard, when the key to winning friends and influencing people is actually listening? Twitter is popular, in part, because not everyone is on it, giving it effectiveness and a cool factor. When it becomes flooded with marketing messages, it loses both, which will lead many users to abandon Twitter and move onale Carnegie rolling over in his grave because everyone on Twitter is trying to be hear.
Read post at Search Engine Watch: